EFFECTIVE DATE: NOVEMBER 6, 2013
By visiting the Site, or using any of our Services, you agree that your personal information will be handled as described in this Policy. Your use of our Site or Services, and any dispute over privacy, is subject to this Policy and our Terms of Service. Our Terms of Service are incorporated by reference into this Policy.
What Information Do We Collect About You and Why?
We may collect information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Site or Services.
Information We Collect Directly From You
We collect information directly from you when you interact with our Site, such as when you create an account, request information from us, create a project, post an image or other content, follow another user, watch a project, re-capture content, respond to our surveys, make a purchase, or any other action. Certain features of our Site require registration, such as to create a project, follow a project of another user, watch a project, capture an image, or post a comment, an image, or a document to a project. During registration, we will request, among other information, your name, email address, user name and password. You also have the option of creating a user profile, and may choose to provide information such as: company name, job title, business contact information, cell phone number, and industry, among other details. We also will collect payment information if you sign up for our paid Services or if you purchase a product from us.
Information We Collect Automatically
How We Use Your Information
We use the information that we gather about you for the following purposes:
- To provide our Services to you, to communicate with you about your use of our Services, to respond to your inquiries, to fulfill your orders, and for other customer service purposes.
- To tailor the content and information that we may send or display to you, to offer location customization, and personalized help and instructions, and to otherwise personalize your experiences while using the Site or our Services.
- To send you email.
- For marketing and promotional purposes. For example, we may use your information, such as your email address, to send you news and newsletters, special offers, and promotions, or to otherwise contact you about products or information we think may interest you. We also may use the information that we learn about you to assist us in advertising our Services on third party websites.
- To better understand how users access and use our Site and Services, both on an aggregated and individualized basis, in order to improve our Site and Services and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other research and analytical purposes.
- To administer our customer loyalty program.
- To protect ourselves and other users of our Site and Services.
Your Privacy Settings
Our Site is a place where interested persons can collaborate with one another about their ideas and projects. Your membership level dictates the number of projects that you may make private on our Site. All projects automatically are public, even if your membership level provides you with a certain number of projects that you may designate as private. For eligible users, you will need to affirmatively designate the privacy setting of your chosen project(s) and then designate the person(s) eligible to collaborate on the project(s). If you designate a project as private, only those persons that you invite to collaborate will have access to the project. Persons viewing our Site, however, may see that a particular project exists even if you have chosen to make it private, but they will not be able to view the contents of the project. You may change your privacy settings by going to your profile page. Please note that if you have chosen to make a project private after it was public, versions of your project may be available in cached files for a certain period of time; we also cannot control how a user chooses to use the information that you previously had made public.
How We Share Your Information
We do not share your personal information with third parties for their own marketing purposes. We may share the information that we collect about you, including personal information, as follows:
- Visitors to our Site. Certain content posted on our Site will be viewable by all other visitors to our Site. Please review your privacy settings to determine the circumstances in which you may limit visitors to our Site from viewing certain (but not all) information that you post to our Site. With the exception of the content of the projects that you make private, but not your user name or the identification of the project itself, the information that you post to our Site, including, reviews, comments, and text, will be viewable by other users of our Site and Services. The information that you post also will be searchable.
- Service Providers. We may disclose the information we collect from you to third party vendors, service providers, contractors or agents who perform functions on our behalf. These entities may help us maintain our Site, respond to your inquiries, and assist us with our marketing, among other activities.
- Business Transfers. If we are acquired by or merged with another company, if substantially all of our assets are transferred to another company, or as part of a bankruptcy proceeding, we may transfer the information we have collected from you to the other company.
- In Response to Legal Process. We also may disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- Aggregate and De-Identified Information. We may share aggregate or de-identified information about users with third parties for marketing, advertising, research or similar purposes.
Session cookies exist only during an online session. They disappear from your computer when you close your browser or turn off your computer. We use session cookies to allow our systems to uniquely identify you during a session or while you are logged into the Site. This allows us to process your online transactions and requests and verify your identity, after you have logged in, as you move through our Site.
Persistent cookies remain on your computer after you have closed your browser or turned off your computer. We use persistent cookies to track aggregate and statistical information about user activity, and to display advertising both on our Site and on third-party sites.
Third Party Cookies
We may also engage third parties to track and analyze Site data. We use the data collected by such third parties to help us administer and improve the quality of the Site and to analyze Site usage. Such third parties may combine the information that we provide about you with other information that they have collected. This Policy does not cover such third parties’ use of the data.
Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but if you prefer, you can edit your browser options to block them in the future. The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers will tell you how to prevent your computer from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable cookies altogether. Visitors to our Site who disable cookies will be able to browse certain areas of the Site, but some features may not function.
Clear GIFs, pixel tags and other technologies
Clear GIFs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on your computer’s hard drive, clear GIFs are embedded invisibly on web pages. We may use clear GIFs (a.k.a. web beacons, web bugs or pixel tags), in connection with our Site to, among other things, track the activities of Site visitors, help us manage content, and compile statistics about Site usage. We and our third party service providers also use clear GIFs in HTML e-mails to our customers, to help us track e-mail response rates, identify when our e-mails are viewed, and track whether our e-mails are forwarded. Third Party Analytics. We use automated devices and applications, such as Google Analytics, to evaluate usage of our Site. We also may use other analytic means to evaluate our Services. We use these tools to help us improve our Services, performance and user experiences. We do not share your personal information with these third parties.
You may opt-out of many third-party ad networks. The website http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp provides information regarding this practice by Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) members, and your choices regarding having this information used by these companies, including how to “opt-out” of third-party ad networks operated by NAI members.
You also may contact the Digital Advertising Alliance at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/ for information about opting out of targeted advertising and your choices regarding having information used by About Ads member companies, including how to “opt-out” of third-party ad networks operated by About Ads members. Opting out of one or more NAI members or DAI members (many of which will be the same) only means that those members no longer will deliver targeted content or ads to you, but it does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content or ads on our Website or other websites. You may continue to receive advertisements, for example, based on the particular website that you are viewing. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different computer or change web browsers, your NAI or DAI opt-out may no longer, be effective. Additional information is available on NAI’s and DAI’s websites accessible by the above links.
Our Site and Services may contain links to third-party websites. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Policy, but instead is governed by the privacy policies of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices of such third party websites.
Security of My Personal Information
We have implemented commercially reasonable precautions to protect the information we collect from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction. Please be aware that no data security measures can guarantee 100% security.
You should take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password, phone, and computer by, among other things, signing off after using a shared computer, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords or for any activity on your account via unauthorized password activity.
Access To My Personal Information
You may modify personal information that you have submitted by logging into your account and updating your profile. Please note that copies of information that you have updated, modified or deleted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages of the Site for a period of time.
What Choices Do I Have Regarding Use of My Personal Information?
We may send periodic promotional emails to you. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail. Please note that it may take up to 10 business days for us to process your opt-out request. If you opt-out of receiving promotional emails from us, we may still send you e-mails about your account or any Services you have requested or received from us.
Children Under 13
Our Services are not designed for children under 13. If we discover that a child under 13 has provided us with personal information, we will delete such information from our systems.
User Generated Content
In addition to your projects, discussed above, we invite you to post content on our Site, including pictures, comments, and other content. If you post content to our Site, with the exception of the information that you may designate as private as described above, all of the information that you post on our Site (whether to a public project, blog, forum, or bulletin board) will be available to all visitors of our Site. Certain other information will be available to select users, based on your designation. If you post content of any form on our Site and Services, your posting may become public and we cannot prevent that information from being used in a manner that may violate this Policy, the law, or your personal privacy.
If you have questions about the privacy aspects of our Services or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Changes to this Policy
This Policy is current as of the Effective Date set forth above. We may change this Policy from time to time, so please be sure to check back periodically. We will post any changes to this Policy on our Site, at http://www.vulume.com/about/privacy. If we make any changes to this Policy that materially affect our practices with regard to the personal information we have previously collected from you, we will endeavor to provide you with notice in advance of such change by highlighting the change on our Site, or contacting you at your email address of record.